after having breakfast at gjelina a few times, i am completely obsessed over their moroccan baked eggs so i wanted to take a stab at making a similar version at home. while i wouldn't say this is the same version it's pretty delicious and easy to make. if you're looking for an alternative breakfast option or want to jazz up your normal breakfast routine!
MOROCCAN BAKED EGGS
1 tablespoons coconut oil
1 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
1 small bunch kale, chopped
4 – 6 garlic cloves, sliced into rounds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 red or green chili, seeded and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
a pinch of cayenne
a pinch of saffron (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. pre-heat oven to 375º. in a skillet* melt coconut oil over medium heat, add cumin seeds, onions, salt and pepper and cook until onions are translucent
2. add tomatoes, chili, garlic, paprika, cayenne and saffron and kale and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until sauce has thickened. taste the sauce and add additional seasoning if necessary
3. transfer sauce* into an oven proof dish and make a small dip in each then and carefully break an egg into each divot.
4. bake for 8-12 mins or until the egg whites are set and yolk is still runny.
* you can also use an oven proof skillet from the start so you don't have to transfer your ingredients. i wanted to use my lodge mini server so i didn't use my cast iron skillet!
PHOTOS BY JENNIFER CHONG