i've been missing thailand lately and craving thai food all the time. long beach thai restaurant is my go-to spot nearby for thai, and i've been literally going there at least once a week i thought it might be time to start making this at home instead. i've made this a couple of times now each time adapting something new! its super easy and delicious!
THOM KHA KAI
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
2 tablespoons of minced ginger
1 tablespoon red chili paste
1 lime zest (if you have lemongrass you can omit the lime zest)
1 lime juice
2 teaspoons of fish sauce
1 can of coconut milk (in the photo above i used the 'light' milk' but i would highly recommended using the full fat kind!)
1-2 teaspoons of panang curry paste (will explain!)
1/2 pound straw mushrooms
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast sliced into bite size pieces
20 ounces of chicken stock
handful of cilantro
1. in a soup pot, melt the coconut oil on low with onions until onion are translucent 5-10 mins
2. combine the lime zest, ginger, chili paste and chicken stock simmer for 10 mins
3. add coconut milk and increase heat to medium.
4. add chicken, straw mushrooms and cook until the chicken is completely cooked.
5. add fish sauce and lime juice. taste, if you like the flavor as is, top it off with some cilantro and serve! i however liked adding a bit of curry paste to the mix for some extra spice and flavor.
PHOTO BY JENNIFER CHONG